Tuesday, July 23, 2013

DIY BIRD MOBILE



I am so excited to share how I made this fun and whimsical mobile! It is simple and easy to make and can add pizzazz to any nursery. I have also seen people use the bird pattern for other crafts (I made Christmas ornaments for my tree a few years ago...) My son loves staring at the bright colors and patterns that I chose for his mobile. (Most of the fabrics I used were scraps, so it's also a thrifty project!) If you're ready then I'm ready! Let's get started.

Supplies:

scissors
pins
loads of fun fabric
needle
thread
embroidery hoop
fishing line
yarn

Birds


The pattern for the birds is from a website that is no longer up and running. I don't have a way to post a pdf, because I am not that good at computers! But if you would like a copy of the pattern below leave a comment with your email and I will send it to you :)



First you need to cut and match the 2 pieces of your bird together. This is the creative part! Don't be afraid to get a little bit crazy mixing colors and patterns. Babies love to look at bold colors and contrasting patterns.





Pin 1 edge of the belly to the body, right sides together, starting at the tail.



Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew the two pieces together from one dot to the next. Make sure you do not sew the tail closed. Repeat for the other edge.


Sew head together from belly to dot.

Turn the bird right side out and stuff.



Sew the tail closed. Your first bird is finished!

Mobile

Turning the birds into a mobile takes some planning and trial and error. This is the way I came up with, but I am sure it is neither the best or easiest way!

I began by threading fishing line through the top of the head of the bird and securing with a knot. After doing this with all 10 birds I tied the other end of the fishing line to the embroidery hoops to hang at various levels. I used 2 embroidery hoops, but it would have been just as cute with one. I also had to attach the hoops together with string. After the birds were all attached I wrapped the hoops with yarn to give it some color. When that was finished the final step was hanging. I ordered a mobile arm with a clamp from Buy Buy Baby for about $10.

Add your baby and ta-da! Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment