Friday, March 7, 2014

PHOTO TO FRAME

I have decided to begin new segment in my blog, that will appear monthly (hopefully more often, if I have the time and inspiration!)dedicated to getting you photographs frame worthy! I don't claim to be a photographer: I am a stay-at-home mom with an art degree, some Photoshop skills, and a little bug whose cuteness just needs to be captured. In each segment I am going to show a before and after, share my experience, and share some editing tips to get an eye-catching professional looking photo.

Today's Photo:


I really wanted to get a cute, bright outdoor shot, but the weather just wasn't cooperating. The lighting was dull, it was rainy and windy, and when I looked through my images I was pretty bummed. I knew I needed to warm up the whole tone of the picture and add some contrast. These are the steps I used to get from point A to point B:

1. I ALWAYS start with cropping, it just helps me think. I wasn't thrilled about the location I shot at, but I knew I could make it work.I decided to use the columns in the background to frame the little guy, but  I knew I was pretty much stuck with the handrail. After some playing around I found that if I cropped the handrail at the corner of the picture it added a focal point to pull the viewer to the center of the picture. I think I was able to turn a less than ideal situation into something that works.

2. For this photo I only used one other step! I have been really interested in Photoshop Actions lately. An Action is basically a pre-recorded set of moves that someone has created to edit an image to achieve a certain effect. They are similar to Instagram "Filters". Many Actions are available for free online, and I have been trying out a bunch! The one that I used on this image is called Goldygates Color Boost plus Warmth. And it seriously works wonders right?

Here is a larger view of the final image. 
More pictures to come from H's One Year Photo Shoot!








No comments:

Post a Comment